Fáilte Ireland is searching for emerging destinations providing a ‘health and well-being’ tourism experience as part of the European Destination of Excellence (EDEN) Awards.
So does your destination has what it take???
Applications are now open to find a destination in Ireland offering a sustainable and well-developed health & well-being tourist experience characteristic of their region with a potential to grow visitor numbers?
What is EDEN?
EDEN European Destinations of Excellence.
This is an EU project promoting sustainable tourism development across the European Union and is currently held every two years in 29 member states.
What were the previous Irish winners?
Previous Irish winners include:
- Scattery Island, (Cultural & Heritage)
- The Burren Food Trail (Tourism & Local Gastronomy)
- The Great Western Greenway (Tourism & the Regeneration of Physical Sites)
- Loop Head (Aquatic Tourism)
Speaking about the competition Fiona Monaghan, Fáilte Ireland’s Head of Product Development - Activities, said:
“Visitors are increasingly looking to connect with destinations and communities which offer authentic experiences through nature and local traditions and communities across Ireland are participating in many ways to harness these assets through tourism to deliver impactful social and economic benefits for their local areas. This year’s theme of health and wellbeing tourism experiences will give those destinations offering an authentic health and well-being offering linked with their local culture and natural assets a chance to gain recognition for their experiences on the European stage and we encourage those eligible to submit an application.”
What are the eligible destinations?
Eligible destinations will be those:
- “Small” or “emerging”, “off the beaten track” and “nontraditional” (the visitor numbers rating from low to very low in comparison with the national average). The national average is estimated to be 16,000 overnights by overseas visitors per annum.
- The specific offer should have been implemented at least since 2017.
- That offers authentic tourism experiences.
- That are represented by a Management Destination Organisation that has a capacity in sustainable tourism management.
- That have local authorities with a capacity in managing their own destination in a way to ensure social, cultural and environmental sustainability.
- That shall have agencies, NGO’s or authorities in charge to protect and promote the natural and cultural heritage with a capacity in adopting sustainable tourism practices.
- Destinations that have a well-developed Health & Well-Being Tourism offering that is characteristic of the reg
Full competition details are available HERE
***The closing date for entries is 4 pm on Friday, 27th September 2019.